Friday 30 August 2013

Love Struck...Part 2

You ever think there would be repercussion for actions spurred by just reading an inspiring word or quote?. Sarah was compelled to follow the handsome stranger Richard she met at the bus stop just by these simple words- Cease today for tomorrow is uncertain...I'd let you get right into it, if you haven't read the first part, please go find it.


My plans already taking shape, I get into the next available bus heading towards my destiny.  I whip my phone out from the inner compartment of my bag, ready to compose a text to my boss, I mouth the words as I write. "I shall come to the office late, got stomach flu". Before pressing the green send button, I scan quickly for spelling error and abbreviation; Tunji my boss wouldn't bother to read if he sees any abbreviation. Seeing nothing out of place, I send with a mischievous smile wishing Debbie my best friend and colleague could see me.
“Madame, your money” The conductor ask, bringing me out of the trance-like state I am in
Taking the exact bus fare from my wallet, I pay him quickly as I couldn't afford to waste precious time at Obalende, waiting for change the conductor announced he didn't have before getting on the bus. Even the occasional  "Driver abeg small small" from the passengers were background noises as I couldn't focus, All I was thinking about was Richard's face, gap teeth and the tiny dimple  that showed when the smiled at me.
I  didn't realize the commotion until someone taps me saying "auntie, abeg make I pass, the bus don stop"
"Wh...What did you s..sssay" stammering and looking around to see exactly where we are.
"That was fast, we are already at obalende" my words more of a statement than a question.
"No...The bus don stop, driver say no fuel"
"Oh my God"...I exclaim.  we were stuck in the middle of third mainland bridge!!! All profanities and curses at the driver and conductor from the passengers weren't enough to    quell the anger  I feel 
"How we wan comot for hia?" a girl whom I could tell from her tailored suit is a banker ask
"You go wait oo madame, if I see empty bus I go put una for inside", the driver says, continuing in the non nonchalant manner synonymous to Lagos danfo drivers "if not, una go wait till my conductor come back with fuel".
So much for my Sherlock Holmes act. If I had taken the cab , I certainly would have caught up with Richard, saying I'm paying dearly for my being cautious is an understatement . The only thing I can do now is; sulk, sigh, hiss repeatedly and pray that an empty bus will miraculously turn up.
Lets just say, I will have to be a better Christian, 
"yes, I will go for confession next Saturday" I vow as we filed in forty five minutes later resuming  the once upon a time pumped journey. I wouldn't be acting the sick girl part at the office because I really feel that way; sick to the stomach. I wanted to lash out, I begin to type the angry words on my blackberry messenger,only to erase at the last minute. Well...how would I explain to Tunji if he sees it when already I sent him a message earlier? 
Entering the office building with a long face,  I didn't  spare  Betty the receptionist a glance       but saw her rather from the corner of my eye placing the phone receiver against her ear. Not bothering to wait for the lift, I take the stairs two at a time to my floor. 
I hadn't even taken my seat when Tunji storms out of his office, making a bee line towards me
"Oh,oh..he told Betty to ring him as soon as you come in". Debbie whispers to me conspiratorially from across my table.
“I will deal with that snitch later” I whisper my reply. Bracing myself for the attack, remain standing prepared with my arsenal: phone,
“why didn't you inform me you would be late" Tunji inquired angrily
"I did, sent you a text message" searching through my messages to find the text.
"young lady, I never received any text from you" so if you can't produce the text get ready to answer the query I already typed.
"see", showing him my phone and the message 
"give that to me, Taking the phone from me, he scrolls to the information.
"Is this my phone number?" he ask with a frown on his face. 
Taking the phone back from him, I check and discover I had sent the text to Tunde a friend of mine. I'll  just have to lie my way out again
"I was really feeling bad, my stomach being in knots and all when I sent this" I shrug, hoping he would buy my line
 Tunji isn't as hard as he tries to look. He  gives me a tight smile as a parting shot as he turns to go back  into his office.The smile meant ; you are very lucky..this time.
"phew" I exclaim as I sit down with a plunk. turning to Debbie " babe, you don't wanna know what I went through before getting here" I tell her 
"Ehen I knew your excuse was bogus, oya spill" Debbie answers drawing her seat towards me.
" You like aproko" I tease, "maybe I don't want to say anything.
" well, if you try that, just know, I won't tell you what happened with Derrick yesterday"
Derrick is Debbie's latest fling, I swear the way, she runs through the male specie is like a car without brakes. I sure hope she gets a soft landing when she eventually crashes.
" you know I always love hearing all the latest on D2" 
 With a heavy sigh I narrated to her exactly how it happened from losing all form of thought process when I saw  Richard in the light, my pursuit and eventually, the disappointment at being stranded at third mainland bridge.
"Aww...really sorry that you couldn't hatch your plan". "look on the bright side, you met him at the bus stop, so tomorrow is definitely another day" Debbie says trying to lift my spirit
" yes, it is.. I would go and wait for him at the same spot", at least it would be a brand new day and I  will definitely cease it.


 stay glued to catch the concluding story or maybe not the final end!!!

1 comment:

  1. My newest addiction, waiting to see where it all leads to, hoping as usual you will surprise me.

    ReplyDelete