Wednesday 26 November 2014

Don't...


Don't equate stupidity with my melanie
or think I must smoke pot cos I have dreads
locked in obscurity to think that I cannot be smart
coming from a country called "Africa".
Oh, by the way - I'm light skinned and
yellow is not the botanical name for pawpaw.
and if you think you are not a racist, then
the next time you see me, please don't go
"you must be Igbo".
Yes, I curse because it helps the course
of my action and it allows me shock you
seeing as you have stereotyped me to behave
as a proper well brought up African child
whose bloodlines reeks of respect and her kneels
isn't ashamed to kiss the ground in adoration.
but it gets me when elders abuse their position
shamelessly courting condemnation with their actions
and no, I will not obey the saying that a child should
be quiet when elders talk.
call me unruly, a disgrace, but isn't time a race
we are all running from, greasing death with creams so
you might appear younger and I'm tired of answering
your question " so what cream do you use"
you should go ask my mum if she chewed carrots and drank
fanta by the gallons before she had me.
I might not have a big butt but I have a big mouth
and I'm not afraid to work it cos it is an invaluable asset
that will never depreciated or run out of demand and
even though I don't run it every time you see me,
don't mistake my being quiet for being proud.

1 comment: