Wednesday 28 August 2013

Is Silence Golden?




However catchy this phrase is, it sometimes is the death of many people. You tend to be overly cautious, saying to yourself "I don't want to step on toes". Please the other name for you is Kiss ass... (My singular opinion).
The internet age as my neighbor refers to the time we are in- where news can be read without paying a dime (well, you pay for the data service) has given most the power to be abusive,cynical and full of s*** in their comments on issues. Nigerians will only be what they are: Nigerians.


For some weeks now, the only thing I hear, see is the case of a pastor and a church member. Heard the church member went public with incriminating posts about the pastor. I am  the type that goes through comments on such post to read what my people have to say.  some are downright abusive and hide under the anonymity cloak. 
Have you asked yourself if the accusation has any truth?
Religion is a system of belief  that judges a person based on adherence to certain rules while Christianity is acting Christ-like (follower of God). However unique and distinct these two are, we often mix them up. The whole saga brought to mind the issue I had at my workplace just some days ago.
Many people are masochist in their workplace; they would smile at the boss whose attitude isn't worth crap and complain behind the said boss’ back. Please quit your whining.
Who are we as Nigerians? The following traits are characteristic of a true  Nigerian.  Don’t get me wrong. I am proudly Nigerian but not patriotic. oya answer if you sef fit die for naija?

  • Cowardice
Remember shaggy "it wasn't me”. That is what usually happens, “quick to point fingers” at the least person in the chain of command just so that you could be spared. Well deal with it, this person reports to you so you should take it all in stride. At least that what you are paid to do; manage or is the title just a label or what?
  • Overly religious
Okay, I am not against having faith as the bible say it is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what is not seen. I totally agree because I also believe  I would leave my place of work for something better but wait a minute, didn't it also state that faith without work is good as dead? The average Nigerian believes strongly in the first. e.g. if you have a pounding head ache and feel down, the right thing to do is probably take a pill to help but my naija people will say I believe it would go in Jesus name. or maybe you are so broke, speaking up is the only way to get help, instead you stick with the phrase" I am very rich", I want to buy a better car, could you loan me some money since you are so rich.

  • Hypocrite
"Why should you do that", "if I was the one, I would have done it differently". Wait till you are wearing the shoes before being judgmental. Who the cap fits let them wear it.
  • Follow-follow
If Fela were to be alive today, he sure will have a good laugh whilst singing his song zombie. Our abeg-make-I-do-as-everybody attitude is the bane of many issues plaguing us. a situation I found to be true last week even the Asian dude in my workplace "don port"  or is there a Nigerian great great great grandfather somewhere in his family tree?

Please take time out to sincerely appraise situation before jumping on the bandwagon. Personally I know of one; pastor, minister who after impregnating a church member insisted that the baby be aborted. This same man of God would stand at the pulpit, altar reigning fire and brimstone on those who did the ungodly act. his answer when faced with the horrible situation was," We will ask God for forgiveness". He still pastors as the person in question kept mute. 

I am not taking sides, just pointing out, as I don't know any of these people, but my question still remains: is silence golden in all cases? Yep, I have a big mouth which I intend to use constructively so don't use the cliché word "arrogant" to describe me, I am not. what I am: Opinionated.

No comments:

Post a Comment