Wednesday 28 August 2013

Love struck..part 1

If you have been in Sarah ( the character in this story series) shoe's, you would relate pretty well.so lean forward towards your computer screen, mobile phone screen and enjoy!!! hehehe


Cease today for tomorrow is uncertain!!! The words on the sticker of a brown sedan car passing by the bus stop where I'm standing, waiting to catch a bus to work. It would be a sin to walk at this time of the day in other parts of Nigeria, but Lagos is where everybody hopes to make it big ,so would just about do anything- from waking up at ungodly hours to returning at un-saintly hours. If it weren't for the flicker of light from the makeshift pole like stand across the bus stop, I and others would have been waiting in the dark..
"Where all this buses na” someone speaks up in Pidgin English, breaking the silence,
“Abi oo, I don dey tire”another would be passenger seconds the first.
Meanwhile, there is already a buildup of traffic as motorists begin the tiring journey across the bridge to the commercial hub or center as most like to believe-Victoria Island.
Looking at my watch, it is past six o’clock, I have 30 minutes to go across the third mainland bridge to Obalende, then try to find another bus going to Adeola Odeku and still do my makeup in time for the 7 o’clock meeting we always have every Monday.
“So much for trusting that okada man” I mumble under my breathe.Johnson(my Okada man) usually drops me off with his okada at the bus stop by 5:30 am so I could get to work early.
Yes?”someone standing to my right ask me
“Not you” I say in reply to his question.” I was talking to myself”
“Why is that” I could feel the curiosity in the question even though he tried to mask it.
Turning to him I begin to give a flip answer laced in sarcasm “Well...I begin and then the bright light from the headlight of a car illuminates his face and I couldn't remember exactly what I going to say
His face is picture perfect; that face belongs to the pages of playboy magazine that would never see the light of day because it will remain hidden under my mattress and he would feature in all my dreams. Not wanting to waste the moment,  I blink as if my eyes were shutters, taking pictures and filing them in my medulla for later so I could moon and drool over.
Miss, are you alright” my Adonis ask waving his fingers in front of me
“Yes, I’m fine” snapping back to earth, trying to feign composure that I didn't feel.
“You were about to tell me why you talk to yourself”…”oh, it is just something I do when I am worked up” my sarcasm forgotten now
“Don’t worry, am sure a bus will show up soon” he says in consolation. Now this is my kind of guy; caring.
True to his words, a bus does show up,whilst I drag my feet hoping to prolong the moment, the rest of the crowd waiting gets in
“The bus is full” my voice lifts with excitement while mentally thanking Johnson, the okada man I earlier blamed for my predicament. If he had picked me, I would have left the house earlier than I did and surely, I wouldn't be talking to my handsome stranger.
That small matter will soon be corrected and extend my hand towards him wishing instead I could drape myself all over him
“My name is Sarah”..."Very nice to meet you"
“Same here, name’s Richard… I would have to run along as I have a meeting to get to at work, hope we run into each other.”
"No,No..please don't leave just yet".but Richard is already in the bus whose conductor is shouting “iyanoworobergerobalende”
should I to follow him and explain with something I would think of if he caught me, at least that way i would get his number? the words from the sticker I saw earlier now mocking me.  Thinking hard and trying to remember all the line from movie scenes like this
“Oh, didn't realize this is your building,It is your building right” or “I dropped in to see a friend in the fourth floor and just my luck bumping into you again”



No comments:

Post a Comment