Sunday 21 July 2013

From Playroom to Bedroom

"Uncle muhammad, uncle muhammad is here"! kafiat exclaims leaving the plates she was washing rushing towards  him with a knowing smile .
"Kafiat, how are you today, hope you have been a good girl," muhammad asks after a brief hug.
"Yes uncle, so what did you bring for us."
"You know Ramadan will soon end, and you promised me a dress.
"of course I did, you will soon have as many dresses as you'd like" uncle responds
 Ehen, Ha! Plenty dress,I will always pray for you, Allah will make you big.
"Amen! Are your parents at home, I want to speak to them
"Yes uncle..just go in"  returning to  wash the plates she forgot in her excitement.

You see, muhammad isn't really her uncle, he lives in the neighbourhood,  but isn't that what we call people older than us ?

well back to my story



"Kafiat, kafiat"...her mum calls out
" I'm coming" kafiat replies ...
As soon as she comes in, her mum points to the wooden seat besides her. The seat was opposite uncle's and as she moves to sit, he gives her a smile which she aptly returns. She turns her head towards her dad.
"Dad...is there something wrong..did I do anything. I have been outside washing plate, maybe you should ask Monsurat or   Abdul because I haven't done anything... she says

After all,  as the first child, she got to take the blame for her siblings pranks every single time.

Not this time.....

oh well..I wish now that was all it was...

"No...Kafiat, you didn't do anything wrong this time her dad  reassures her with a pat on her shoulders.
But I want you to understand that I love you and no matter what happens, I want you to know that me, your mum and siblings do..

Really confused, kafiat turns to her mum

"I don't understand what dad is saying, are you taking me away, but you know I've been a good child, I always remember  to pray and don't forget to fast..

"My dear child, your father has said it all..We love you but this is out of our hands", her mum says  holding her  little girl's hand. with tears pouring down her eyes she continues

"Kafiat, you see, uncle muhammad has come to take you with him, you will live with him and help take care him",

"Is that all? Is that why you gave me the speech? of course I will go with uncle picturing herself in all her new dresses, she would leave the old ones with Monsurat, seeing as she  wouldn't be needing them again.

 "No , it isn't like that, muhammad wants you to be his wife, you will take care of him as a wife should" her mum says in a strangled voice

"But...no mum, I don't want to be his wife.

 She had over heard a conversation at school where some older girls were describing a book they  read on sex. Really trying to recall what was said... she remembers one telling how much pain you'd feel once the guy puts his thing inside you..or didn't Sade say it depends on if the guy's thing is big...Kafiat takes a quick glance at uncle's mid section from  the corner of eyes shuddering at the mental picture of him laying on top of her.

This might very well be the fate of children now if the bill for child marriage is approved.

I won't dare  slander because it has been said " to each his own...but isn't it also said...practice what you preach?

As for me, I say No¡¡¡¡

On behalf of the girl child, I write this piece and hope that everyone that reads will understand this is what you'd say if given the chance.

I have a voice 
not as loud as a speaker's  
         or thick as a chorister's timbre 
though small it might be 
I will be heard 

I have a choice 
I have a right 
To take a stand 
However small I am
I will take a stand

I say
No to child marriage!
NO to child trafficking!
No to child molestation!
NO to child abuse!!

This is my stand..




















3 comments:

  1. What's painful about this is, this is actually happening somewhere in this country, and these children have no one to turn to. And the betrayal by their parents... The very people they've entrusted with their lives and well-being are same people who hand them them over to these monsters.
    Sad :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really sad , parents the first and most important guardians of a child are willing to sell their kids for a price weather it comes in the form of marriage or trafficking and as for those northerner's who use Islam as a camouflage , remember the first criterion for marriage is consent of the bride .were there's no consent there's no marriage.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's pathetic to hear that this kind of thing is actually been debated by those we pay so much to legislate on something that will benefit the greater populace. It's a shame cos i strongly feel that there are better things to discuss up there than this BS. It's a case of misplaced priority.

    ReplyDelete