Thursday 18 July 2013

My First Attempt....

The first time I put my pen to paper was when a friend asked me to try writing a book.I was scared, took me days to summon my muse( Charlie) to think up something.

Maybe I did a darn good job or maybe not....the "Koko of the matter"( main thing) is I did..



"Do you take this woman to be your lawful wedded wife; to have and to hold till death do you part;  wiih the widest grin on my face, I wait for the answer, however Jake surprises me like he always does; brings out a note from the inner pocket of this tux and reads out his own vows;
                I solemnly swear
                With all I hold dear
                To love you for keeps
                To awaken you each morning with a kiss
                Till death do us part!
Dang! I hope Carrie won’t mind if I smear my makeup since I can’t stop the tears. Turning to me, the preacher repeats the vows. Not to be outdone,I decide to say it in my own words. Looking into his eyes I say;
                Jake, I love you so much I can’t think
                Today I give you my word that you will always be enough for me.

Beaming with pride at my attempt, I give Jake a wink,
"By the power vested on me, I pronounce you man and wife, you may kiss the bride" Father Edward recites. Yes! Finally, wasting no time I tilt my head and wait for our lips to meet.

"Kelly, wake up"!, my sister shouts into my ears yanking me from Jake's arms
What! Angry at her for robbing me off the chance to kiss Jake and my body still tingling with expectation. I turn give to her a questioning look.
"You are gonna be late for work" she says
In an instant, I was out of the bed;  "I grab my bag, walk to the door in a hurry, and yank it open in a bid to catch a cab before the clock strikes 9. I can't believe I've put myself in this position again. My boss is going to kill me."
Luckily, the elevator door was just still open with only a guy in it.
"Please hold” Iscream and sprinted towards it before it closes 
Thank you I say in between breath and with a smile that didn't quite reach the eye
"I bet you will win the employee of the year award", my neighbor says with a glint in his eye
Yea, whatever. Not in the mood for small talk, I offered my back to him, hoping he gets my drift and shut up.
The cliche saved by the bell couldn't be truer as the elevator rides to a stop and without waiting; I dash out hoping to get a taxi as i just have five minutes to go
"Taxi! 20 creek road as soon as the car comes to a stop. Looking at my watch I groan
"Hey miss, is there something wrong, the taxi driver inquires with a concern look
"Uhnn..Nothing, I reply stonily,
Then it hits me.
Twice today I have given two men the brush off, get a grip I tell myself, what is wrong with you…. 
You want to know the answer? My life! This isn't how I envisaged growing up, I had my life planned out down to the T: I was going to be a writer, have six books published by twenty-five, read my books at book readings but here I am, at twenty-five still a copier girl in a law firm with no more than a novel to my name just my big ideas and paperback filled with stories,


"Ma’am we are here"the cab man shakes me out of my reverie. So I pay and get off, squaring my shoulders I open the door, walking into reality with no Jake in sight.

How was that for a first attempt?

2 comments:

  1. I remember reading this on your ipod touch a.k.a ipod wordsmith (R.I.P touch, we miss you!). Still one of my favourite pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  2. best first attempt ever!!! u would go places I know, I am just waiting until it happens.

    ReplyDelete