Friday 29 August 2014

Imperfect

I want to remember my youth
as man recalls evolution
a date of meeting high and err
This tall figure who knows
too well, what it is to be imperfect.
A higher being
who has lost count of how many times
she’s had her back to the ground
but with the grit of my ancestors stamped in my DNA,
I envelope myself in a cocoon of self-preservation
in protection from the heavy lashes that made
catcalls with my skin, singing the redemption song
as I fight the battle of wit with gravity
and still I rise only to fall
but in my defence, it made me stronger.
The days turn to years, a stack growing in their numbers
but I remain stunted wanting only to add decimals
raised to exponentials
for I refuse to be old
even if my body turns wrinkled, I still refuse to be old
even if I lose my sight, I want to see the beauty of my youth
for if age is nothing but a number
what then is time if nothing but seconds ticking
reminding me to check my biological clock
whose hand is close to the eleventh hour
and if not careful all will be lost.
Who am I if not a vessel
who's captain can steer expertly in the midst of turbulence
and bring to berth the spoils of the war with confusion
trying to gain a foothold in the market to fish for nothing
but fool's gold and sell to the highest bidder.
I want to remember that I held on, not surrendering
to the temptation of tasting the forbidden 
not fruit cos thanks to Eve, our eyes have been open 
to the game of hide and seek
if caught, the devil is the victim
but I am still a tall figure who knows 
too well, what it is to be imperfect
A higher being
who's lost count of how many times
she's had a stare down with lust who almost won
but with the words of the testament sealed in my DNA
I'm closed off to the taunts and jeers of hunger
grappling at my throat, chocking my sanity 
yet I'm breathing fine
cos I know that the journey to self is not by the signoff 
gotten from people around me
it is in knowing that even when I fall, bruise myself I am a sign for all 
to see that it is not the end cos still I rise. 






No comments:

Post a Comment