Friday 11 April 2014

A letter to self

I got inspired to write a letter to myself from a blog I read “A note to self.  It was one of those post you read and think “I wish I had done that”. But as a copywriter, it’s my job is to copy (disclaimer. I didn’t say copy all the words, I changed the title). So this is my not to be quoted letter to my young self”


Dear youngster Nancy,
The world at it is now, is a global village, the way things operate here is almost unbelievable. I have a cellphone, I see you might not know what that is. It’s an electronic device that allows you connecting to/with people, so no more of the “I hope this letter meets you in good health, if so doxology” letters you still write, you can also hear whoever you call, isn’t that cool (yea, I know the technology might be strange to you, but you’ll catch up). Hmm…There is so much to tell you. DSTV is now cheap. Can you believe it? Yea, no more NTA 2 or LTV, OGTV, no more waiting till 4 p.m. to turn on the TV. Television is now 24 hrs, don’t even get me started on the TV itself. They make them in different sizes, some are so humongous, it can take the breadth of the tiny room you live in. you can also go to the cinemas where you can watch the latest American (it’s called Hollywood) movies not the Indian ones you watch from a VCR. Ah! I can watch the kissing scene without having to fake going to use the ladies (yes, dad and his cough alert).


I now work as a copywriter (yes, it sounds strange but I’d give you a decade to catch up), so quit changing your mind by the second and stick to this. It’ll save you the migraine of thinking too hard on what you want to be in the future.( I’m your future, so I have that sorted), but then, you’d have to get through university and my advice; brace up cos you’d be going to a boring university. Need I remind you that you’ll study Agricultural Engineering which I must say is not so rosy? You’ll have to carry MEE board till your part three and you’d wake up feeling sorry for yourself daily. You just might meet some good friend only if you tow my path). You’ll also meet boys so don’t let mum’s stern warnings freak you out she won’t be around to give you that look that say “ leave that boy NOW”. You’d be the envy of all and you’ll receive an award in your 100L for being the most beautiful Jambite (I can see you dashing to take a good look at yourself in the mirror). The best news is that you’ll also grow breasts and hips, so don’t let uncle Tosin’s OKPELENGE teasing get to you. You’ll be also obsessed about staying slim and trim (I’d have to ask my looper self the answer as I’m unmarried). But I should say that, there are some guys you’d meet. Don’t tarry like I did and say “lemme think about it” (I’m older and wiser). Go for it especially this dude you’ll meet at Blue Island, Ajah. I know why I’m saying this cos you’ll meet him later but by then it’d be too late. He got married.

Oh...I have so much to tell you, so much to write and I hope you are taking notes cos not everyone gets the opportunity to have their looper talk to them.


Did I tell you that you’ll work for two and half years in a telecoms firm doing optimization work, you’d meet the good, the bad and the ugly. The good ones, you’d be best friend with and the bad, you’ll forget like the short put you’ll fling into the bush at NYSC camp. The ugly, you’ll laugh in their face when you resign. Life is not so unkind to you yet. So enjoy the moments you have and allow yourself be happy and bask in the protection of dad and mum now, but a time will come when it’d be just you. (Hey, mum and dad are still alive). I mean, things will get so tight, it be hard to survive and stay in school, but like the good girl you turned out to be, you’ll find help when all seem bleak. Help will come in form of a man, who will take care of you cos he cares about you (no, he isn’t an aristo, shame on you that you’ll think that). He is a good man. He took care of my expense till I left school), you’ll remain indebted to him and you’ll also return the favour to others.
I have enclosed a picture of me. Hopefully, I’d do the same when I’m older. I hope to do this with you as I have not scratched the surface yet. I’d tell you all about our (cos you’ll do same) escapades. See you soon in some donkey years.


P.s: by the way, try to get engaged if you can, that way I’ll boast that at least I did something that mum will be happy about ( she still thinks I’m weird)

Till we meet

Your future self

No comments:

Post a Comment