Thursday 27 June 2013

Musing of a Random Lagos Bus Hopper

As much as I hear complaints about the state of buses in Lagos, it has become a fun thing I do. so I would implore everyone who has a car to experience what the "other half" go through, well..before you feel too self important, I would like to remind you, how you used to get on these buses you loathe now..

I was in a bus going home after the hard labor at work and the driver made it the highlight of my boring day, I got to the bus stop and the scene played out like this

"Ajah market!!!...wole pelu #200"..the conductor who is an old man shouted.
Thankful that I got a bus, hurried in before I  would spend eternity getting a bus.going my way. I am certain that all the bus drivers held a meeting to only go half way: mainly Jakande/Chevron
"Your side"...the conductor told the driver, the conductor forgot to settle the Agbero" waiting at the bus stop.
"Abi o ya were, O so ara e" the agbero made a move to take out something of worth inside the bus
" Ode ni e"  I wo oloshi; shey  iru ise yi lo le fi le fun awon omo e, emi baba mi lo ko mi ni ise yi"the driver retorted

Did you get all that? oh well, the job of translating  isn't so fancy but would try it do that we can all be on the same page

"Ajah market...enter with your #200" the conductor who is an old man shouted
Thankful that I got a bus, hurried in before I would spend eternity getting a bus going my way. I am certain that all the bus drivers held a meeting to only go half way: Jakande/Chevron
"Your side"( meaning the driver should drive out)the conductor forgot to settle the Agbero"( guys who collect money from conductors for every trip they go) waiting at the bustop.
" Are you mad? you had better be careful" the agbero made a move to take out something of worth inside the bus
" you are stupid" you are crazy. can you pass on this kind of work to your children in future? my father taught me this job".the driver retorted

I think I did a great job.


Mehn....I couldn't just contain myself, I thought I was the only one, we all cracked up...after all the ruckus, we calmed down and had a debate about it....i mean me and the other passengers inside the bus

like really, strangers bonding.... it sure was a deal breaker for me...and a beginning for more of this.
Taking out my blog bible and placing my right hand on it, I say.
I, Nancy hereby solemnly swear to always take the bus, I promise to take a writing pad with me when I do so I can write and capture the moments.

2 comments:

  1. LMAO, inherited business called bus driving

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah! reading through this short piece reminded me of the fun i missed boarding the molue and danfos especially on Monday morning and Friday Evening. the happenings in there is just enough to make your trip wort while provided you not the victim.

    ReplyDelete